Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Old Christmas Cassettes

It’s almost Christmas, and I am listening to my old Christmas cassettes. What memories they bring. (Emily dug these out of my closet when she was here yesterday. Maurine copied a lot of these, years ago, from my old LPs. The sound quality isn’t as good as the CDs, but the memories are there anyway.) When I heard the Barbara Streisand one, I could almost hear Vern say,”Oh, play a different one.” He didn’t like Streisand, so I haven’t heard that one all the way through very many times! But the Robert Goulet tape is so nice. I guess I should look for a CD of his songs. I think he is dead now. Anybody know for sure? (Well, I Googled him and found out that he died in Oct 2007 while waiting for a lung transplant.) He had a great voice that I really enjoyed. One of my Bing Crosby cassettes, "that Christmas Feeling", has a picture taken in Sun Valley on the front. The LP had the picture, and I was able to find a commercially-made cassette that also had it. I love the Tab Choir recording of "White Christmas". Glen & Jackie gave the LP to us for Christmas years and years ago,(at least 40 years) and it became a favorite right away. The title is still listed on the Tab Choir website, but the recording is no longer available. I wish they would re-master it for re-release. I played my Fred Waring cassette today, too. I have so many really old tapes. So I am listening to the old music and watching the finches and juncos at the bird feeder. We have about 5 inches of snow. It will be a white Christmas for us.

No comments: